Friday, August 6, 2010

Seeing



 "Looking & seeing both start with sense perception, but there the similarity ends. When I "look at the world and label its phenomena, I make immediate choices, instant appraisals, I like or I dislike, I accept or reject what I look at, according to its usefulness to the "Me". 


"This me that I imagine myself to be, and that I try to impose on others. The purpose of "looking" is to survive, to cope...... 


"When on the other hand, I see, suddenly I am all eyes, I forget this "Me", am liberated from it and dive into the reality of what confronts me, become part of it, participate in it. I no longer label, no longer choose. (choosing is the sickness of the mind, says a sixth-century Chinese sage.)." 
                                                                                      
                                                                                                                                      ~Frederick Franck