Saturday, August 12, 2017

august



The Pond

August of another summer, and once again 
I am drinking the sun
and the lilies again are spread across the water. 
I know now what they want is to touch each other. 
I have not been here for many years
during which time I kept living my life. 
Like the heron, who can only croak, who wishes he 
could sing, 
I wish I could sing. 
A little thanks from every throat would be appropriate. 
This is how it has been, and this is how it is: 
All my life I have been able to feel happiness, 
except whatever was not happiness, 
which I also remember. 
Each of us wears a shadow. 
But just now it is summer again
and I am watching the lilies bow to each other, 
then slide on the wind and the tug of desire, 
close, close to one another, 
Soon now, I'll turn and start for home. 
And who knows, maybe I'll be singing.

~ Mary Oliver 

photo: bruce behnke